The Royal Theatre in the Old Orangery in the Royal Łazienki Museum in Warsaw
It should come as no surprise that Aaron Hill, the director of the Queen’s Theatre in London, when wanting to introduce Italian opera to the English audiences, chose a fragment from the famous work Jerusalem Delivered as the theme of the first premiere. The brilliant epic poem by Torquato Tasso combines historical themes (the story takes place during the First Crusade) with the Christian ethos and the world of magic. Set in this context, the captivating love story and compelling characters make the text a perfect premise for musical drama. The artistry of the Renaissance work had already been appreciated by Claudio Monteverdi, who devoted multiple madrigals to selected themes. What’s more, operas with libretti based on fragments of Tasso’s poem were composed by Giulio Caccini, Jean Baptiste Lully and, of course, Georg Friedrich Haendel, among others.
The libretto for Rinaldo – an opera commissioned from a young but already recognized composer who had just arrived on the British Isles – was written by Giacomo Rossi. According to his account, it took Haendel only two weeks to compose the score. The numerous borrowings from his earlier works did not even in the slightest affect the quality of the new opera. The first performances took place in 1711 and received an enthusiastic reception. After twenty years of staging the work revised by the composer himself, the opera disappeared from opera houses for almost 200 years. Rediscovered in the 20th century, it is today considered one of the most exemplary works of Haendel in this genre and continues to inspire artists and music lovers alike.
MUSIC DIRECTOR WŁADYSŁAW KŁOSIEWICZ
DIRECTED BY JAROSŁAW KILIAN
SET DESIGN AND COSTUMES DOROTA KOŁODYŃSKA
VIDEO PROJECTIONS MIKOŁAJ MOLENDA, MAREK ZAMOJSKI
CHOREOGRAPHY RUI ISHIHARA
LIGHTING DESIGN JACQUELINE SOBISZEWSKI
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR SŁAWOMIR JURCZAK
II ASSISTANT DIRECTOR AGNIESZKA KOZŁOWSKA
ASSISTANT SET DESIGNER KAROLINA BRAMOWICZ
STAGE MANAGER TATIANA HEMPEL-GIERLACH
GOFFREDO, LEADER OF THE CRUSADE JAN JAKUB MONOWID
ALMIRENA, HIS DAUGHTER AND RINALDO’S BETROTHED OLGA PASIECZNIK / MAŁGORZATA TROJANOWSKA
RINALDO, CHRISTIAN KNIGHT ANNA RADZIEJEWSKA
EUSTAZIO, BROTHER TO GOFFREDO JAKUB FOLTAK
ARGANTE, SARACEN KING OF JERUSALEM ANDRZEJ KLIMCZAK / PAWEŁ MICHALCZUK
ARMIDA, SORCERESS AND QUEEN OF DAMASCUS MARTA BOBERSKA
MAGO CHRISTIANE, A HERMIT WOJCIECH GIERLACH
WOMAN FROM THE SEA IWONA LUBOWICZ
SIRENS JULITA MIROSŁAWSKA, JUSTYNA RECZENIEDI
HERALD SŁAWOMIR JURCZAK
THE FURIES – DANCERS RUI ISHIHARA, KRZYSZTOF JERZAK, JOANNA LICHOROWICZ-GREŚ
CONDUCTOR WŁADYSŁAW KŁOSIEWICZ
Duration: approx. 3 h 10 min (2 intermissions)
The seats in the auditorium are not numbered.
PLEASE NOTE: the entrance to the Royal Theatre in the Łazienki Park is located in Agrykola street.
One hour before the performance as well as for an hour after it is finished, the audience can use the electric cart running between the Royal Theater and the Łazienki Gate at the corner of Myśliwiecka / Agrykola streets.
We kindly encourage you to read the rules of participation in cultural events organized by the Polish Royal Opera:
- If you are not feeling well, are ill, or had contact with an infected person – stay at home.
- Please, take a face mask with you. On entering the Theatre building, you are obliged to wear a mask covering your mouth and nose.
- At the entrance to the building, please have your temperature taken.
- Disinfect your hands after entering the Theatre building.
- Please remember to sign the Participant Declaration. If possible, please bring the printed and signed declaration with you, if not – fill it in in the Theatre, in the area shown by the staff.
- Take the seat assigned to you by the staff.
- Please come earlier – latecomers will not be allowed into the auditorium.
We care about the safety of our Guests!
- Disinfectants are available at the entrance to the building.
- At the entrance to the building, staff may take your temperature.
- The common spaces and sanitary rooms are disinfected regularly.
- Only 75% of the seats in the auditorium will be available. Persons vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 who voluntarily show a QR code confirming their vaccination with a double dose of the vaccine on the day of the event do not count towards the limit.
Should you have any questions, we are at your disposal on site of the event or at the phone number +48 500 309 424.