Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, 2 Przyrynek St, Warsaw
EVENT AS PART OF THE FESTIVAL IN TEMPORE REGUM – Music of the Time of Kings
Very little has been known about the life of Stanisław Sylwester Szarzyński. The style of compositions he left behind, true gems of Old Polish music, indicates that he created in the last decades of the 17th century. His surviving legacy comprises only of a dozen pieces, most of which are church concertos such as Ave Regina Caelorum for soprano and an instrumental ensemble. Fortunately, his Sonata a 2 has also survived. What surprises is the fact that it is one of very few surviving pieces of chamber music of the time, and there was very high demand for such music both in church and during court festivities.
Definitely more is known about the life and work of Grzegorz Gerwazy Gorczycki. His activity falls on the first half of the 18th century. The religious music of this kappelmeister of the Wawel Cathedral includes the most advanced achievements of compositional technique of the time. His extensive oeuvre includes a cappella choir pieces (such as Missa Paschalis, opening tonight’s concert) and vocal-instrumental compositions. Among Gorczycki’s greatest achievements as a composer is the solemn Completorium, whose virtuosity of the concerto style of psalms contrasts with homophonic antiphons, and the whole piece perfectly reflects the content of liturgical text in sophisticated music.
Grzegorz Gerwazy Gorczycki – Missa Paschalis
Stanisław Sylwester Szarzyński – Sonata a 2
Stanisław Sylwester Szarzyński – Ave Regina Caelorum
Grzegorz Gerwazy Gorczycki – Laetatus sum
Grzegorz Gerwazy Gorczycki – Completorium
CHAMBER CHOIR AT THE POLISH ROYAL OPERA
RENATA SZCZYPIOR CONDUCTOR, CHORUS MASTER
KRZYSZTOF GARSTKA CONDUCTOR
Seats are not numbered.
We kindly encourage you to read the rules of participation in cultural events organized by the Polish Royal Opera:
- If you are not feeling well, are ill, had contact with an infected person – stay home.
- Please, take a mask with you. After entering the Theatre building you are obliged to wear a mask covering mouth and nose.
- Disinfect your hands after entering the Theatre building.
- Please remember to sign the Participant Declaration. If possible, please bring the printed and signed declaration with you, if not – fill it in in the Theatre, in the place shown by the staff.
- The cloakroom will be closed on the day of the event. Please take your outerwear with you to the auditorium.
- Take the seat shown to you by the staff.
- Please come earlier – latecomers will not be allowed into the auditorium.
We care about the safety of our Guests!
- Disinfectants are available at the entrance to the building.
- The common space and sanitary rooms are disinfected.
- Only 50% maximum of the seats in the auditorium will be available.
- We keep safe distance.
Should you have questions, we are at your disposal on site or under the phone number +48 500 309 424.